Our blog

Introduction to our blog

A few words 'bout our blog Greetings, visitors! We decided to create a blog concerning mental illnesses, and just about everything...

March 4, 2017

Dyspraxia

Dear readers, there’s finally the last article of our series. We’re going to finish it all by so called dyspraxia.

What does the term dyspraxia actually mean? It’s basically impaired ability of coordination and movement. It can affect fine motor skills, gross motor skills or both of them. There’s a speech about a complex disorder, so we are going to only outline its foundations. The core symptom is then a trouble imitate, plan and realize movements.

Impaired fine motor skills manifest themselves, for example, in illegible handwriting, in inability to draw a nice picture, in problems with handwork or cooking or in decreased ability to tie shoelaces. People with difficulties in the area of fine motor skills also typically constantly spill a cup of tea, they drop things and they awkwardly grasp objects.

Troubles with gross motor skills are reflected in walking which can be atypical in every possible way. In children it manifests as troubles learning how to walk. Individuals with impaired gross motor skills experience hard time while riding a bike, playing ball games or during other sport activities. They often experience problems with coordination of their movements. Especially children than frequently stumble, fall or bump into things.

Dyspraxia can manifest in a decreased ability to speak as well. Children aren’t able to coordinate the movements of their tongue and vocal cords. Their speech is then unintelligible. The given person either falters while speaking, or has overall difficulties with articulation. This phenomenon occurs when dyspraxia affects muscles responsible of the formation of speech.

I myself certainly suffer from dyspraxia even though I don’t have it diagnosed.  I have primarily impaired gross motor skills. It causes me troubles to participate in almost all kinds of sports, especially in ball games. I badly coordinate my movements and I constantly stumble over something. My fine motor skills are partly impaired as well, even though I draw well and my handwriting is quite nice. But, for instance, I almost always spill a cup of tea a little.

My grandpa is affected by this condition too. However his fine motor disruption is much stronger than mine. He has also partly troubles with speaking.

Dyspraxia is the only specific learning disability which really protects me from doing certain activities, mostly many kinds of sports. Nevertheless I’m not sad because of it. This condition belongs to me just as all other disorders I have.


So we’re on the end! How would you rate our series of articles? Do you have any remarks or questions? What do you think about our last article? Do you know somebody suffering from dyspraxia or do you suffer from this condition yourself? Share your opinions in the comment section below. We will be glad for every question or note. We’re here for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment